Apple CEO Tim Cook unveiled the long awaited iPhone5 today. Here is the quick scoop:
- No iPad mini announcement today– presumably will be in October
- IOS 6 will be released September 19, 2012
Evolution of the iPhone
- 4 inch diagonal screen (compared to 3.5 inches for 4S)
- Thinner and lighter than 4S –7.6 mm thick and 18% thinner. 20% lighter than the iPhone 4S.
- Better resolution than 4S
- 4G wireless data network compatible
- Camera 8 Megapixel– same as 4S, but some lighting and effect features added. Front camera 720 hd capable. Rear 1080 hd (same)
- New processor A6 which Apple says has double the capability of processor in 4S
- New improved battery claimed
- two additional microphones
- Pricing same as 4S (see below)
- Preorders start Sept 19, 2012
A complete comparison of the 4S and 5 can be found at http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/12/iphone-5-whats-changed/
Frankly, I do not see any compelling reason to upgrade from my 4S. What do you think?